Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I Noticed

The handsfree set for my new phone had been lying in its clear ziploc bag in the phone's box for a couple of months before I finally needed to use it today. So I chucked the entire package into my bag without so much as taking a look at it and went to work.

Over lunch, I took the handsfree set out to use it for the first time, when I noticed something minute that impacted me in a huge way.
You see, my handsfree set came tied up in a cable twist. You know, those flat plastic thingies with a wire running through the centre of it?

Nothing out of the ordinary, you may say.

But you see, the packer had actually bothered to fold in the two ends of the cable tie before tying up the handsfree set, so that the consumer would not scratch himself when he opens the package.

Talk about attention to detail.

You know what? I'm thinking about this guy.

He's probably got a low paid job in a factory doing this packing job.

He could have not bothered about folding back the ends of the cable ties. His supervisor wouldn't have noticed it anyway.

He would never get to see the people who will end up using this product.

But yet, day after day, he does this for hundreds and hundreds of handsfree sets that land on his workbench.

He may not have thought much of it. It may not even have remotely crossed his mind that someone else in the world would notice something so trivial.

But I did.

And I appreciate that attention to detail. I'm greatly impressed that he, as an ordinary employee, possibly the 'plankton at the bottom of the food chain' to his colleagues, had chosen to to think as if he started up this company. And this was one guy in this company that stood out heads and shoulders above all the executives and top officers, at least for me.

This is what I call true excellence.

And I'm doubtless that this is the quality that will bring him far in life. He will not remain a packer forever.

Prov 10:4 "He who has a slack hand becomes poor, but the hand of the diligent makes rich. "

Are we having excellence in the littlest of things? Things that we think nobody sees or knows? Because He notices when nobody does. He noticed the two mites over the bags of gold. He noticed the sparrow over the albatross. He noticed the grass over the huge fig tree. Just like the way you noticed this chunk of text in faint ink and small fonts. Learn from the thrift shop: Small change; big difference.

No comments: