Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Today is Winter Solstice!

Its Winter Solstice!  The time when every Chinese will think about Tang-Yuen...

I'm very blessed to have the memory of hand-making those little glutinous rice balls in red and white with my mother, when I was still a kid.  It felt more like playing with plasticine at that time.  We had the traditional white and red dough. 

I remember it got to a point when my sis and I just got bored after a while and started mixing the two different doughs together to make the 'raspberry ripple' version:

Can you spot the mutant Tang Yuens?
Years later, after extensive advertising in Rediffusion and 95.8FM, every aunty in town was talking about it: Tang-yuen with three different types of filling:  Red bean, Black sesame and Peanut.  The products flew off the shelves like hot cakes.  
My personal favourite, Black sesame, usually ran out of stock if you were not quick enough.


Then some people started getting creative and did variants.


Dry version with peanut coating outside.  Actually, to me, it looks like Japanese Mochi / glammed up Muar chee with a shape and some filling.


Psychedelic colours.  Good for a retro-themed party I suppose.  

But I'll never ever eat this version because they remind me too much of:

No comments: