Tuesday, August 18, 2009

看不下去

I had canteen food for lunch.

For those of you who haven't been there yet, we have 3 LCD tvs in the canteen to keep people from boredom while awaiting their turn. The TV in the centre shows the current queue number being served by various clinics and the two TVs on either side air programmes from different channels.

Today I planted myself right in the middle where I was able to watch both channels on TV.

On my left, the TV showed poor elderly living in one-room flats in Singapore who were recently cheated by someone claiming to be a volunteer from a social welfare group. One elderly had $40 stolen from her - it could've lasted for 2 weeks when it would have been spent in 2 days flat for a normal Singaporean; another thrifty elderly was emptied of her savings. She had wanted to leave her money for her intellectually disabled daughter when she passed on.

On my right, the TV showed the details of a super luxurious garden wedding, complete with a huge diamond ring and the introduction to each dish in their five course gourmet lunch for their guests.

In the end, I looked at my food for the rest of lunchtime.

No comments: