Hi everyone! Its been so long.. and I'm back from Taiwan!
Its really a beautiful country with beautiful people. And I mean so beautiful until you feel like an aunty if you don't dress sharp or put on makeup.
Shopping and food was really great! Almost every corner, you will smell something nice, or be attracted to something beautiful in the shop window or roadside stall. We managed to visit the countryside, and the air was uber fresh. The night life is vibrant and best of all, FINALLY I CAN CHEW SOME GUM!
My observations of this country that I was visiting for the first time? I didn't see any signs that threaten fines for pple who litter, urinate, or vandalise (or feed cats, or cut grass, or pick their nose). Trash bins were not found with every 5 steps you take. And when you do find them, they were always beside the recycling bins. Their trains were cleaner than the MRT here, and there were no bits of rubbish on the streets. In fact, I once saw someone bend down and pick up a piece of tissue paper that someone else threw. Young people sat down on the trains and kept their eyes open instead of falling asleep right away, looking out for an elderly / pregnant lady / woman with kid to give up their seats to. Majority of the people were very warm and helpful to us.
In the night markets, the vendors displayed their ware on tarp laid on makeshift tables. When someone as much as breathed the word 'Police!', they gathered all four corners of the tarp, folded up their tables without collecting the money that was still in their customers' hands, and scooted to the side of the streets. When the coast was clear, they moved back to the street. This could happen a few times in one night. Just to earn that $5 for a piece of clothing they sold.
I was thinking to myself: They really work hard for very little money. And this is only my guess... maybe because of this understanding among the common folks of Taiwan, I guess the civic-mindedness and warmth they show was their way of making life easier for one another. I even noticed a billboard with these words of encouragement: 活下去. Of course, I'm not saying that the people here are perfect. But this was something about them that really caught my attention and I find starkly missing in our society.
A visit to the coal mine museum further deepened my respect for the people of Taiwan. This was because the coal mines in Taiwan were far more dangerous than Japan and yielded far less and lower quality coal, but yet, the workers risked their health and lives. Many died young in freak accidents.
I really love Taiwan. I love the shopping and the sights and all the things that are beautiful to the eye. But more than that, the priceless thing about this country is the people who stayed united through tough times, and kept on giving to one another.
I really pray that the common people of the country will experience prosperity.
I know this is kind of a solemn blog, and I guess these are the things that would not usually strike other holiday-goers, but well, just thought I'd pen it down because this country has definitely left a huge footprint in my heart, and I want to keep praying for Taiwan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment